Friday, October 3, 2008

Looking back

Not a fan of people, especially young people, who try to enhance their cred by complaining about current music. As far as I can tell, the ratio of crap to greatness is pretty much the same now as it's always been in pop--we just are able to filter out the wheat from the chaff more effectively with the old stuff. My tastes are aligned pretty heavily toward the late 60s to mid 70s era, but I go out of my way not to be chauvinistic about it, and there are plenty of "current" artists that I like--Chili Peppers, Stripes, some recent power metal and prog, random alt-rock from the 90s that reminds me of grade school. It's annoying in general when people talk about a sublime past that never really existed. It's fallacious to do it with politics, morals, and language, and no better to do it with music.

That said, 98% of rap is just stupid.

No comments: